January 3, 2014

Some resolutions for 2014


I resolve to actively seek out more research help this year.  I belong to some local genealogy societies, however most of those I am researching did not live where I do.  I have joined historical and genealogical societies in the regions where my ancestors lived, but communication via mail is not the same as being there, chatting with those who know the area, using their resources.  I have every intention of taking at least one road trip in 2014 to make use of those distant repositories.

I will help others with what I know. For two years now I have intermittently been adding cemetery photos I have collected to Findagrave .... I resolve to get them ALL posted along with brief biographical notes.

The Italian Genealogical Group of New York is a wonderous organization -- creating and publishing (FOR FREE) many archived records for New York City.  I have been a volunteer with them for several years and will continue to help them as their published databases have helped me greatly.

My biggest issue is that I have difficulty staying focused on one person or one line in my family tree. So my resolution for 2014 is to focus on one individual each month and make a serious effort to resolve open issues / clear brick walls. That doesn't mean I won't work on others, but it does mean I will dedicate some undivided attention to that month's resolution.  FAMILY FOCUS will be my monthly routine.

Hope you have great success with your research this year !

No comments:

Post a Comment