January 10, 2014

FAMILY FOCUS: Dr Adam Clark 1791-1860


Adam, my 4th Great Grandfather, was a physician and leather tanner in New York.  I have many unanswered questions about him – including where he was born, who his parents were, possible siblings, why he moved to Westchester County late in his life. I am determined to find answers this year.

What I do know is: 
  • He was born about 1791, likely in Albany County
  • He reported that his parents were born in CT
  • He may have been Adam Jr
  • He marred Harriet Watson before the 1820 census
  • They had 7 known children born 1821-1843
  • He lived in Berne, NY (1830 + 1840 census)
  • He had a seat at the 1st Dutch Reformed Church
  • He built a large tannery in Middletown in mid-1840s, creating the village of “Clark’s Factory”
  • In 1860 he was living in Cortlandt as a physician
  • He died in Nov 1860 + is buried in Cortlandt
  • His wife outlived him by 5 years
  • His wife, daughter Eliza and 2 grandchildren are buried with him

With a common surname like Clark and no other information about Adam, I was at a loss how to continue. I will be attending a research workshop at NEHGS in Boston in March when Adam will be at the top of my “I need help” list. NEHGS has great resources for New York research and I hope I’ll find some answers there.

No comments:

Post a Comment